Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Israeli A4-N "AYIT" Skyhawk in 1/32nd scale


Israeli #115 sq. "DRAGONS"




The Douglas A-4 Skyhawk is a single seat carrier-capable attack aircraft developed for the United States Navy and United States Marine Corps. The delta winged, single-engine "Skyhawk" was designed and produced by Douglas Aircraft Company, and later by McDonnell Aircraft.  The Skyhawk is a lightweight aircraft with a maximum takeoff weight of 24,500 pounds (11,100 kg) and has a top speed of more than 600 miles per hour (970 km/h). The aircraft's five hardpoints support a variety of missiles, bombs and other munitions and were capable of delivering nuclear weapons using a low altitude bombing system and a "loft" delivery technique. The A-4 was originally powered by the Wright J-65 turbo-jet engine and from the A-4E version onwards, the Pratt & Whitney J-52 was used.





THE KIT:  TRUMPETER 1/32 A-4M



PARTS OUT OF THE BOX



 Here we go....The cockpit:  "Avionix" resin cockpit conversion set for Trumpeter 1/32 A4-M
The "Avionix" resin cockpits have stunning details and are always an upgrade from the kit parts but these always take ALOT of effort to actually fit the model.  I have so far used them in two model builds.  Great final result but a royal PITA !






Here are some views of the cockpit after painting.  Lots of fun !



The Instrument panel:  After painting I put a drop of clear epoxy on each dial face.

Before closing the fuselage, ALOT of weight needs to be inserted into the nose area.  This is done to avoid the dreaded "Tail-sitter" model.  I used lead shot and BBs held in place with epoxy resin.  The instructions do mention "Ballast" but not how much...In this instance, more weight is better.


I'll call this "Part 1" of the build because the fuselage can't be closed without doing the cockpit area first.....But wait !  There's more to do with this model.  I decided to include the provided engine.  Usually I wouldn't bother, because in my opinion the extra work doesn't justify the extra time to finish a model. Closing the fuselage forever around an exceptionally detailed little engine never to be seen again is a waste of effort.  This model is different though because, as with an actual aircraft, the model splits into two parts (forward fuselage and aft tail section).  The engine can be viewed without splitting the model in any unrealistic location.

Here's what I have in mind:




This is the engine pretty much stock out of the box with paint.  I added silver paper insulation from a cigarette package cut to fit various sections of the jetpipe.  After it had dried, I sprayed on some different metallic shades.





Now the fuselage can be closed

A little detail on the side of the engine so I can leave the access doors open.  I used some small transistors and brass wire for the effect I wanted.

Now moving along to "Part 3" of the build: The Tail Section.  I used the "Wolfpack" A4-N Israeli "Ahit" conversion set.  This will require some minor surgery to the top of the vertical tail (remove the big A4-M "Hotdog" sensor on the top and replace it with the new resin fin-tip.  A new Rudder and the Israeli designed extended tail-pipe is supplied with this set. 

The "barrel" tail-pipe extensions were installed by the Israelis to prevent total loss of an aircraft hit by SAM-7 "Strella" missiles.  During the 1973 Yom Kippur War this type of shoulder fired missile accounted for many lost and damaged aircraft.  These also were attached to the IAF "Super Mystere".

This photo shows an aircraft hit by a SAM-7 "Strella" in the 1973 war, before the barrel extension.

This photo shows an aircraft hit by a "Strella" in 1982, after the barrel extension (less damage)
 

Here are some photos I took during the application of the conversion parts

New resin Israeli style Braking parachute fairing under the exhaust pipe from the conversion set.


This section (Red cross-hatch) of the model needs to be removed to fit the extended tail-pipe. Careful fitting is required here to avoid any large gaps or misalignment of the new part.

Thanks to Mr. Tzudukian for his "walk-around" photo of an IDF/AF A4-N at Hatzerim air base

At this stage,  I airbrushed some flat white paint, checking for any open seams and while I was at it,  I applied the rudder colors of #115 Squadron, "Flying Dragons" as it would have appeared in the early 1982 Lebanon War.  When this squadron later changed commanders, the colors were reversed. 


Part 4 of my build: The wings.  The wing section involved attachment of the landing gear and a minor modification to include a bombing damage assessment camera.  The guns in the kit are 20mm Colt cannons but the Israelis modified their Skyhawks with 30mm DEFA guns.  These are also included in the conversion from "Wolfpack".  I detailed the guns in place and then closed them up forever, against my better judgement.....

Here are the guns before closing it all up..

Underwing fairing and Bombing camera showing what needed to be removed



I attached the wings and landing gear and the model started to take the appearance that I had in mind at the beginning of the build.


 


First coat of paint in the camo scheme is Sand (FS33531).  I used Testors Modelmaster enamels.  The red areas were sprayed also in enamels, using a "Guards Red" paint.

The other colors used in the camouflage were: Dark Tan FS30219 and Green FS34258.  These two colors need some further discussion...The Dark Tan, fresh from the bottle, is a little too pale and the tone is not "warm" enough.  I mixed into the bottle about 10-15% "Leather" color to adjust the tone.  As for the Green color,  the Israeli Air Force (prior to Yom Kippur war) received the A4 Skyhawk directly from Douglas Aircraft.  Factory color scheme used FS34258.  This color was not the standard IDF/AF Green (FS34227) which was being applied to most IDF aircraft since after the 1967.  F-4 Phantom aircraft delivered from McDonnell in 1968, would be painted with "The other Green".  The underside color is "Duck Egg Blue" FS35622.

Some touch up on the initial camouflage scheme..You can see in these two photos how I adjusted the pattern.  Using the two photos at the top of the page, I carefully followed the pattern of the actual plane.  Although generally similar,  these planes were painted by a human being following a pattern with a spray-gun.  Here's a photo taken in 1968 at the Douglas Aircraft paint shop.  Notice the camouflage pattern drawings taped on the walls:

Individual aircraft patterns were unique. The Israeli military aircraft numbering system can be complicated and aircraft numbers changed often for various reasons. Aircraft were also reassigned to other squadrons as the newer types were being integrated into the force, so this method of identification was useful. Aircraft spotters could identify some planes by small differences in camouflage patterns.


 I finally got some decals on my Skyhawk and the building pace quickens.  The GBU-8 HOBOS bomb was finished the other days as well.  Next step is the oil wash for all the panel lines while the model still has it's glossy finish.



A little more progress.  I've attached the landing gear doors, split flaps, armament,  fuel tanks, wiring the Landing gear and gluing on all the small parts that would have broken during the painting and handling.  At this stage, I still have heads-up display, forward windscreen and canopy left to attach. Next project: An IDF/AF Rotary wing .......


 FINALLY FINISHED................


















COMMISSIONS

Yes, I will build commissioned scale models for select clients.  I can be reached by email: seahors1@gate.net







8 comments:

  1. Wow, nice page, GREAT IDF A-4 pics and models, congrats Ed !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a diorama! Excellent build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthony for the compliment. This model was just awarded a Gold medal in the 1/32 aircraft class at the IPMS Jaxcon model competition last month. It was a big surprise as there were so many other beautiful models on display.

      Delete
  3. Great Work Ed.

    I am embarking on the same enterprise. Two questions, which reference did you use to paint the armament, and where can I find appropriate decals given that isradecals seem to have stopped producing 1:32 decals for the IAF A4?

    Best,

    Zeb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ed, Awesome build. I will be using what you have taught me about the IDF A-4N to enable me to build my 1/48 Hasegawa A-4N. I didn't think it would hurt to ask if you still had the kit exhaust cone? I wanted to correct the exhaust area on my Hasegawa 1/32 A-4 and TA-4J kits and would appreciate that part to enable me to engineer and cast a correction in half the time compared to if I had done it from scratch. Drop me an email if you could help. Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete